Legacy System Migration Do's and Dont's
Legacy systems are long term investment for any types of businesses making a migration project into an inevitable consequence of aging software systems. But avoiding all the traps it can be turned into an advantage. Let’s learn about the working do’s and dont’s from some of the experienced stories giving you some practical advice of high level strategy. The right approach to legacy systems are that it performs numerous migrations across various industries. Legacy System Migration have their own standard operating procedures, but it is required to understand when to expect and when to avoid the traps and converting these traps into opportunities into your side.
There are two parts of software applications they are state and behaviour. The state of an application defines the data and what it means, the behaviour of the application defines the functionality and how it behaves.
First of all we will get deeper in Data and Functionality and then we will look into Do’s and Dont’s
1. Data(State) Migration:
What you do with the data is completely different while you needing to undergo migration. So only thing is to move from legacy system to cloud computing. With lots of analysis and mapping one can make a good data migration. With a correct set of tools one can manage and do the data migration. There will be a time when developers will fail to manage data where the quality of data, columns, foreign keys and many things will be missing which can create a big problem.
2. Functionality(Behaviour) Migration:
Data is the state and functionality is the behaviour. Data migration is still easier than functionality migration as it is time consuming. In data we do M2M(model-to-model) model and in Functionality we M2T(model-to-text) model. It is more like code writing for a functionality. Using these techniques can save a lot of time, lift the quality of the project, and reduce the risk of the project failing. Let’s check the Do’s and Dont’s for the legacy system migration
Legacy System Migration - What to DO while managing legacy systems
- More analysis and research for the system.
- Testing is important for every process.
- Strategies and scientific approach is required to understand the system.
- Understand the size of the problem and then work over it.
- Model-driven engineering methods should be used.
- Set technology and organization KPI’s and perform with those standards given.
Data and System Migration - What are those Dont’s
- We work to make a systematic track of the data. This is done by an automated step that driven from legacy database to other model.
- The next thing comes is that we involve business analyst to create the backlog for the behaviour of the application.
- Third it comes to understand and analyse the capabilities of the plugin model you switch to work for the application.
- Then you create new interface and new cloud application and given to developers to meet the requirements.
- And finally it comes to migrate from legacy database to cloud migration.
Considering these Do’s and Don't's use legacy system migrations seriously transform your process into benefit level. Use tried and tested methods to approach the migration process.
Hire team of legacy migration consultants from us. Technigents offers Legacy System Migration services like data and system migration, legacy application modernization, application modernization services at affordable cost and flexible models. Contact Us Now!
Subscribe for latest
- Top 7 Ways To Promote Your Mobile App 27 July 2017
- Top 5 Tips for Transitioning Legacy Systems to the Cloud 17 July 2017
- Legacy System Migration Do's and Dont's 10 July 2017
- 5 Effective Ways to Implement Mobile App Security 21 June 2017
- Key Benefits of Agile Methodology for your Startup 18 June 2017
- What Mobile App Marketing Can Do Wonders To Your Business? 15 June 2017